If you haven’t heard the news, Sage released a new Microsoft SQL version of Sage Estimating software earlier this year. This “next generation” version of their popular estimating package delivers more power and functionality than the older version that runs on a Pervasive database. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the top 5 reasons to consider an upgrade from Sage Estimating Standard to the new Sage Estimating SQL.
1. Undo/Redo Functionality
Have you ever entered an incorrect quantity into Sage Estimating. With the standard estimating product, you might have to spend a bit of time recreating the origin of that number. But with the new SQL version, you can undo (or even redo) entries with the click of a button and quickly retrieve the original quantity.
2. Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)
With Sage Estimating SQL, you can tap a library of over 40 built-in work breakdown structures with 99 values for each, that will persist from one estimate to the next. Standard estimating users no longer have to recreate WBS code values for each new estimate. What’s more, you can store WBS codes at the item level offering another default spreadsheet sort sequence at the click of a button. Not only can you generate estimates more quickly, you can also create reports that mirror the same structure and even sort your database view in the 16 or 49 divisional breakouts.
3. Move or Copy Functionality
Not available in Standard Estimating, the Move/Copy feature included in the SQL version allows you to highlight items sorted by WBS, then drag and drop to the appropriate value. Going a step further, there’s a formalized process for moving items to new WBS values created on the fly or simply copy items to a newly-created WBS value.
4. Enhanced Spreadsheet Sort
Former Standard Estimating users moving to SQL will be able to take advantage of additional spreadsheet sort sequence tabs. Future releases of Core will take this a step further and will be unlimited.
5. Sub Bid Grid
With Sage Estimating SQL, you can enter and compare multiple sub bids right from the spreadsheet, no longer having to track them outside the system as you would with Standard Estimating. Simply enter unit costs or lump sum figures into the grid and compare figures against your database benchmark pricing. You can choose the subcontractors pricing to be represented on the estimate.
Other Nice Features
Some other nice features and benefits of the new Sage Estimating SQL product include:
- Alternates – prepare more versatile estimates that include optional pricing packages.
- Integration – integrates seamlessly with Sage 100 Contractor SQL
- Modules – product packaging is broken up into modules so you can customize costs and features based on your need and estimating complexity.
- Excel Data Connector – improved communication with Excel for more flexible data imports and exports.
- Performance Improvement – perhaps one of the most significant yet understated improvements come from the underlying Microsoft SQL Server database that delivers faster performance and more detailed reporting options.
Have Questions or Ready to Upgrade?
Click below to get in touch. One of our expert Sage Estimating Software consultants will follow up to answer your questions, provide a quote, or get you started on your way to better, faster, and more accurate estimates to help you win more business!